Housing in New Haven
New Haven is comprised of many different neighborhoods. When searching for accommodation, you will see listings often identified by the neighborhood in which they are located. When looking at housing options and resources, the Yale shuttle lines run through the following neighborhoods: East Rock, Wooster Square, Downtown, and Science Park.
If you prefer to live outside of New Haven there are several shoreline towns that have commuter trains into New Haven: Milford, West Haven, East Haven, Branford, and Guilford. There are apartments in the town of Hamden which are accessibly by city bus, but living in other nearby towns usually requires a car for transportation.
Off-campus housing is available in a range of prices and conditions. Fully furnished apartments are less common, but available. A one-bedroom apartment near campus rents for $1,000 – $1,800 USD per month. Be mindful if the rent includes the cost of utilities such as heat, electricity and water.
Whichever neighborhood/city you decide to live in, make sure you visit (or have someone visit for you) any room or apartment you are considering renting before making any agreements or signing a lease. Like anywhere else, each neighborhood has apartments that vary in price and quality; signing a lease “sight unseen” (without first seeing the apartment) still binds you to the terms of the lease regardless of the condition of the apartment.
There are many housing websites that can help you with your search including craigslist, hotpads, doorsteps.com, along with many others.
The sites listed below will provide you additional search tools for locating an apartment. For information about signing leases, signing up for utilities, and related information, visit the Off Campus Living Guide and the Office of International Students and Scholars Off-Campus Housing Resource pages.
If you need help with housing options, please contact OVEF staff or your program coordinator for more support.
Off-campus housing sites
- Yale Off Campus Living is a Yale-maintained database of rentals, sublets, house-shares and info. This is a self-service site and listings are not certified or guaranteed by the University.
- Elm City Partners: Yale-owned properties available for rent.
- Sabbatical Homes
- Housing Facebook Page (Open Group within Yale): An unmonitored Facebook page that Yale community members post about housing available for rent and subletting, and furniture for sale. It is an open forum, so please take care when making arrangements. You need a Yale email address to join.
Property Management Groups
- PMC Property Group
- C.A. White Real Estate
- Contact Linda Libertino 203-777-6891 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chelsea Company Apartments
- Corsair Apartments
- Hadley, Inc.