Visiting Assistant in Research
Students who are currently enrolled in a graduate program at another university and who wish to pursue full time dissertation research at Yale may be admitted as a Visiting Assistant in Research (VAR). VARs may not enroll in classes at Yale and are limited to a maximum of two years of study.
Applicants have to identify a faculty member, who is affiliated with one of the councils or programs at the MacMillan Center, who agrees to supervise/mentor you while at Yale. For the comprehensive list of programs and councils please go to https://macmillan.yale.edu/people/macmillan-center-faculty
VAR’s with the MacMillan Center must be approved by the MacMillan Center and admitted by the Graduate School via a web-based application process. Please review carefully the website https://gsas.yale.edu/admissions/non-degree-programs/visiting-assistant-research-var
- Your period of study at Yale is flexible and should be discussed with your Yale advisor prior to submitting your application. Your start date should always begin on first of the month. If the first falls on a weekend or holiday, your enrollment will begin the next business day.
- International applicants must also provide: Proof of sufficient funding to cover your living expense and tuition costs while at Yale and proof of English Language proficiency.
- International Applicants: your application must be submitted no later than 90 days prior to your intended start date.
- US Citizens/Permanent Residents: your application must be submitted no later than 30 days prior to your intended start date.
- Tuition is charged for any portion of a month, at a rate of $425 per month (as of September 2018.)